I’m not sure why this keeps popping back into my head recently but I found it to be most entertaining at the time.
We were at the Brookfield Zoo in the Chicago area two summers ago and were cutting through the thick air of the monkey house. While observing the primates, I look to my right and catch a guy taking a picture with his binoculars in front of his camera phone. The mix of modern technology and assumed absurdity amused me a great deal. I will concede that without a high-powered zoom getting a decent close-up of the monkeys in that location is next to impossible. Still I was taken by the silliness of what I was seeing.
Perhaps the man was a genius and was collecting National Geographic quality masterpieces for his home albums but I somehow doubt those professionals are hunting for photo opportunities in the jungle while holding binoculars up to their fancy cameras.
I kick myself for not taking a picture of that guy taking a picture. I could have started one of those “This Guy Might Be a Redneck” emails that get passed around. Three things could have made this situation absolutely perfect: 1) The man using a disposable camera 2) with a pair of Fisher Price plastic binoculars as his make shift zoom and 3) me going back in time and catching this precious moment to preserve for my ongoing amusement.
1 comment:
Whoa...that would have made a great shot. (your picture of him...not sure what his picture would look like!)
Post a Comment