Friday, October 31, 2008

Oh Be Careful Little Mouth What You Say

I left the room to take my contacts out and returned to the following statement from Rachel. “Aidan, tell your dad what you just told me.” Uh oh. It was the “tell your dad” tone that suggested Aidan had just repeated something that likely came from my mouth and not the “tell your dad” tone that suggested Aidan had said something especially witty or profound.

Apparently Aidan had told his mother that we needed to purchase a leash for Kellen and suggested we may want to schedule a trip to PetSmart. I tried not to laugh. I was indeed guilty of suggesting that Kellen needed a leash in a moment earlier in the day when he had darted off while I was trying to capture him and feed him lunch. Of course I should realize that a four year old may take what I say far more literally than I intended. I was quite impressed that Aidan would show concern for his father’s needs and take the time to figure out where we could go to assist me in alleviating my problem.

In my defense, I did hold Kellen’s hand for most of our visit to Target this evening allowing him to walk around “freely” like his older brother. He wasn’t satisfied sitting in the cart while observing Aidan’s greater level of freedom. I can honestly say I did not consider swinging through the pet section…not even once.

No comments: