Kellen has been celebrating many things recently. It’s always fun to see him raise his arms in triumph and enthusiastically proclaim “Yes, we did it!”. Using this phrase as punctuation to meal time prayers has been deemed completely acceptable as we appreciate his affection for it. He’s getting pretty good at reciting the standard kid’s pre-meal “and we thank Him for this food” prayer. Everything is just so exciting to him and I get a lot of “First place! High Five!” responses to most anything we do that is even slightly competitive. He loves playing down in the basement (the bounty of toys might have something to do with that) and a question of, “Do you want to go downstairs, Kellen?” is swiftly met with a big smile, an “AWESOME!” and a quick turn to run to and descend the stairs.
My soon to be two year old is also growing very affectionate. He likely takes the cue from his big brother wanting to get in on any hug. He’s a good hugger, very European with his check and check kisses and likes to slip in the “I wuv you dada”. I willingly accept all three displays of affection.
He’s gotten into the Veggie Tales which is something Aidan was not exposed to extensively. I’m finding the talking vegetables to be quite entertaining myself. They definitely slip in plenty of humor for the adults watching along. He loves the theme song and likes to finish it with a loud, “Everybody Veg-e-tales!” which he transfers to just about everything in his daily life like “Everybody Tub-e-time!” He also likes the Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah song which I sing to him while changing his diaper (I have no idea why). He responds to my “Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah” with a “Zip-A-Dee-Ay” and takes the “day” and “way” at the end of the chorus lines.
We are excitedly preparing Aidan for kindergarten. He has his five year check up tomorrow and his pre-K screening/testing next week. Today he was officially invited to attend Heritage Christian Academy in one of the neighboring suburbs. Rachel and I went in for a parent interview which felt simply like one last time for both sides to confirm that the fit was right following their open house and our application. I think we had always felt and assumed that our kids would attend a private Christian school as we had and the fact that the principal sat with us and prayed for our child (whom she’d never met) before we talked together this morning reinforced all the reasons we are making this choice.
Aidan is ready for warmer days and itching to get out to the park. He knows school comes after the summer and is likely to take full advantage of the summer season. It will be nice for all of us to spend more time outdoors. Both boys received fishing poles for Christmas and Aidan has been reminding me that we need to fish when it warms up. I never had the patience for it when I was younger but am hoping for a successful first outing and hoping Kellen doesn’t injure me in the process.
The boys will be serving as co-ring bearers at my sister’s wedding this summer. I’m sure they will march gentlemanly down the aisle…or win me scads of money on America’s Funniest Home Videos. Either way, we are looking forward to the trip east and the much anticipated event.
No comments:
Post a Comment