Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Holiday Travels

The four of us hit the road over the weekend heading to Chicago to visit Andrea and Dave. We coordinated the trip around an Independence Day Cubs game. The Wrigley home team was less accommodating to our desire for an enjoyable weekend than Rachel's sister and her husband.

We were reminded of our love for Chicago traffic as we arrived in the area. After making good time to begin the trip, we spent way too much time looking at bumpers and wondering why we didn't simply rent a helicopter. Rachel questioned how anyone could have an accident on such a clear, drive-friendly day. My suggestion that their wives were not there to coach them was not well received.

The boys (especially Aidan) ran Andi and "Buv" through as many parks as possible over the course of a few days. We enjoyed a picnic lunch together on Friday. The Fourth included fireworks from the visiting Brewers in the afternoon and the up-in-the-sky blasts and glow sticks in the evening.

Kellen was not feeling well Sunday so Aidan and I visited our former home church in the morning and I stayed with our under-the-weather traveller while the others hit the zoo in the afternoon.

All in all it was a great trip with good company, fun activities and great hosts who fed us very well. I'll be working off the good eats over the next month so I can squeeze into my tuxedo in August.

Next trip...New Jersey.

No comments: