Saturday, July 11, 2009

Oh Be Careful Little Eyes…

The need to watch your actions and your tongue around impressionable young children becomes quickly apparent when you realize they like to mimic everything you say and do. I notice Aidan matching the phrases Rachel and I use and Kellen often shadows Aidan’s actions wanting to be big like his brother.

Today I realized that something Aidan was doing earlier in the week likely came from something he observed on television.

After using the last paper towel on the roll I flipped the cardboard tube to the boys. It’s always exciting to gain such a versatile instrument of play that is capable of becoming a telescope, a sword or a megaphone depending on your mood. It was sure to offer endless hours of entertainment…or minutes depending on when it was inadvertently smashed.

The boys took turns imagining it to be a number of items but later I noticed Aidan sitting on the couch with the giant tube lodged in the front of his pants. I asked no questions. Later he fell asleep on the couch with the prized item still peaking from his waistband. I was curious but remained silent.

After he woke up, I inquired as to just why he had tucked the tube in such a spot. He indicated it was his telescope and I then assumed the front of someone’s drawers to be a natural spot to store such an item.

This morning as the boys ate breakfast and watched cartoons I noticed a character with a telescope hanging from his belt. Suddenly it donned on me that this was the only reference Aidan may have for appropriate telescope storage options. Having been wearing a pair of shorts with no belt, he had simply found a way to carry his cardboard telescope in a similar manner.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Great story and excellent example of parenting by asking questions instead of jumping to conclusions. Even better that you discovered where the telescope storage idea came from. If only it stayed that easy to figure out why our kids do the things they do...