Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Made Me Laugh

The following are one time or recurring utterances from my children that made me smile and/or laugh.

Depart From Evil: Kellen laid this one on Aidan’s teacher early this morning. She knows he’s been learning Aidan’s weekly Bible verse along with him and told him Monday if he said it for her he could have a sticker. Kellen was too shy Monday but this morning was all business trying to earn that sticker. Today he was the man on the box shouting at the passersby. He walked into the classroom boldly, shouted “Depart from evil and do good!” and got his sticker.

The Good Kid: Today one of Aidan’s classmates announced to me that Aidan was a nice boy who never gets in trouble. It was short, simple and made me smile.

Mr. Clean: This past Saturday Rachel and I were bouncing around cleaning the house to which Aidan questioned, “Why are we cleaning up if nobody’s coming to our house?” I think the kid has a future as an adult male. I’m pretty sure all of us who represent the male persuasion have said the same words aloud or at least pondered them heavily if we dared not speak them.

Chicken Butter: It seems Kellen likes the cinnamon butter from Texas Roadhouse as much as I do. Since dining there a few weeks back he’s constantly seeking a little more flavor in his bread and butter. I’ve been putting a little butter and cinnamon on pieces of bread for him and he loves it. The only problem is he calls it Chicken Butter instead of cinnamon butter but he loves it nonetheless.

Bed Bugs: Our bed time routine keeps evolving now that the boys are bunking in the same room. After slipping into their pajamas and brushing their teeth we’ve got a story, Aidan’s school Bible verse, hugs and kisses…and several other steps in there I’ve abridged for the purposes of this story but dare not miss during wind down time. So many steps are sneaking in we may have to start getting ready for bed right after breakfast one day. The finale is me saying good night and the boys shooting back a “don’t let the bed bugs bite” to which I must respond, “if they do (fill in the blank with something that rhymes with do)”. It’s often goofy and guaranteed hysterical no matter what words or nonsensical syllabus I choose to close with.

Whatever: Thankfully not yet used in a severely disrespectful manner. Kellen will listen to you tell a story or will let Aidan explain to him how to play a game (in great detail) and then roll his eyes and lay out a sing-song “whatever” and laugh. He is indeed two going in 13.

That’s Ridiculous: Same kid. Same scenario. If you’re selling and Kellen’s not buying you’re sure to get a slow shake of the head and a “That’s ridiculous”.

Yikes: I’ve mentioned here before that the neighbors like their holiday decorations. Somehow we get one in every neighborhood we live in. Aidan even suggested today that our neighbors from Chicago must have moved out here with us. Kellen noticed the inflatable football man had disappeared and was replaced by a gaggle of spooky lawn ornaments. His response? “Yikes.” And it was not a this-is-scary yikes either. It was a yikes with the “whatever” or “that’s ridiculous” tone complete with a little head shake. I feel ya buddy!

No comments: