Thursday, April 9, 2009

Fighting Off the Winter Temperatures

When you spend your winters in temperatures that would make a polar bear shiver I guess the concept of warmth takes on a different meaning. Last year when the temperatures hit 60 I noticed that everyone…and I do mean everyone…felt the need to bring their bare legs outdoors. Time to start working on that base tan! It was more prevalent than a few bare-legged people wondering through the neighborhood. The temperatures springing up had the majority of the natives exposing their knees.

The weather is trying to warm up this year. We get teased with 50 and then back indoors we run. Lately we’ve gone out for a few post-dinner walks but encourage the boys to keep their hands tucked up in their sleeves. Of course we’re trying to convince ourselves it is spring by wearing sweatshirts as coats when it’s not quite coatless weather just yet.

Yesterday we hit the park on the way home from our walk and let the boys release some energy on the playground. Then the winds picked up and we had to bribe them with Wheel of Fortune to get them back to the house (yes we DVR’d it…Aidan insisted).

Today with the temperature at exactly 50 I look outdoors and see the neighbor’s kids outside engaged in a…wait for it…water fight. Seriously folks! Eighteen degrees north of freezing and running around coatless in the wind with wet clothes seems natural to some. Granted I now find myself wearing the zip-up sweatshirt when things get on the upside of 33 degrees but I’m not looking for the nearest hose or water pistol. Just mentally trying to embrace a new idea of what “warm” means.

I guess when the winter temperatures are even more severe than the rest of the upper Midwest so too becomes the desire to wish it all farewell.

No comments: