Thursday, April 10, 2008

Cyber Games and Corndogs

It’s amazing how quickly kids pick up on things. I don’t doubt that one day a fully functioning adult will stop in and look dreadfully uncomfortable playing the Wii with us and yet the four year old wonder kid is figuring some things out before we do. He’s a champion bowler, working on his tennis game and golf…well, we’ve got a long way to go on golf. It’s much fun to interact with him in an active setting even when he’s making you look bad. Watching him figure out how to play better and better is quite a sight. I’m doing a lot less coaching now and spending much more time trying to figure out how to keep my skills ahead of his.

My favorite recently developed Wii-action (that’s reaction with a Wii…I’m so clever) is that we must cross our arms in an “X” every time one of us throws a strike and then bump chests. Post-bump giggling is optional but seldom avoided. We’re having a great time and he’s being very cooperative about the limitations we’re placing on the time we spend in such activities.

I was curious to see what else was out there for the system and he caught me watching videos of the forthcoming Mario Kart online. The cartoon racing game is so cool it comes with a steering wheel to play the game with. For the first time in his young life Aidan decided his piggy bank needed to be utilized so he could go to the store and buy it. I helped lower his hyperventilation and tried to distract him with other conversations. He’ll have to learn patience as the game is not out yet and I’m thinking a habit of spending our saved cash on such things is not the way to go. Well just have to get it for Rachel’s birthday…kidding…maybe.

In other news, Aidan’s new favorite food is corn dogs proving that there is indeed Iowa blood running through his veins. I was trying to get him to eat something other than his normal rotation of favorites and he’s suddenly hooked on breaded hotdogs on a stick. And who wouldn’t be, they are absolutely delicious!

No comments: