Tonight he beat his mother in an early trip to the lanes and rallied to beat me in the final of three bowling matches. After we had both lost to a four year old, Rachel asked if I was really trying in the last match and I admitted that I was indeed putting forth my best effort. You may recall he beat me soundly the first time we played on his uncle’s system.
Strangely the one who was most excited to get things hooked up was...Kellen! How does a one year old child instantly know what's going on when a sophisticated gaming system finds its way out of the box? Sure he's seen us play at Uncle Dave's house but to my knowledge has never participated and I didn’t know he was itching to get involved. After I hooked the system up to the TV and as Rachel and Aidan were working to get everything programmed and synced up, Kellen grabbed a controller. He began pointing it at the TV and waving it around showing he knew exactly what was going down and we had to fight him to get it back. Even before the controllers came out he stood looking at the menu on the screen hooting and looking back at us as if to say, "Hey you guys...we've got a Wii here!"
Children's memories can be downright scary. A one year old instantly knowing what's going on and going through all the right motions is absolutely mind boggling. Kellen had to concede to a bath and bed time. I had no idea I was going to have to compete against two pint sized prodigies so I snuck in a couple of rounds (four or five?) of bowling after hours and will now be icing my shoulder before I head for bed.
I wish I could say these photos are staged but Kellen has made it known that he's serious about getting involved and ready to take over as house gaming champion!
UPDATE: My practice session last night has me feeling embarrassed this morning. Aidan and I snuck in a few rounds during Kellen's nap and I lost all three. My grandiose best score of 190 from last night was topped by Aidan on his first attempt this morning with a 214.
UPDATE 2: My buddy who’s owned the Wii for much longer than we (too many Wii/we’s?) informed me today that he’s never broken 200. I am now less filled with shame at being schooled by my son and am now feeling more pride for his special gift.
UPDATE 3: My wife just bowled a 204 on her first game of the day. I am again filled with shame. I will not let Kellen touch the system in fear of placing last in the family bowling tournament.
UPDATE 4: Driven by an unhealthy obsession to match my spouse and four-year old child in meaningless virtual bowling scores, I have honed my craft into the late hours of the night and have earned a 233. I am now the king…and filled with much shame that I would strain my shoulder and forego much needed sleep to achieve this mark. Perhaps I should put myself on Wii probation after just two days. I promise not to mention my score to Aidan…maybe Rachel.
2 comments:
Hey, Travis, be careful because a friend of mine threw his back out playing wii bowling...of course he was a bit older than you two.
I've had to learn not to get too intense while playing because you do feel it in the morning!
Post a Comment