I know the boys are much cuter and more entertaining than I am which is why 99% of the blog is about them. We’ll get back to them for post 201…I promise.
Mmm…food (Homer Simpson voice). I love anything I can take home and grill. That would require a dramatic swing in temperature right now so I’d say for today I’d hop in the car and make the 20 minute drive (both ways) for Papa John’s pizza. I haven’t done so since we moved out here and wish there was one closer by. Mmm…Papa John’s.
2. What color is your tooth brush?
I originally typed white with blue accents but had to go check. Turns out it’s clear with blue accents (guys can use that word, right?).
3. If you could be any animal what would it be and why?
I enjoy watching monkeys. I see them as willing to do most anything for a laugh (at least the sophisticated ones in the movies) and I enjoy hearing others laugh…even if it is at me and not with me.

Sophisticated and Funny!
4. What is one of the things you would put on your “bucket” list?
There are a lot of things I’d like to see and do. My travel list is long but if I only get to pick one thing I want to jump out of an airplane…and land gently.
5. Who is your favorite super hero and why?
I’m not really into the comic book super heroes. The lengthy list of superhero movies that Hollywood has pumped out in recent years really does nothing for me. If I have to pick one I’ll say Superman as the gift of flight is appealing (see #4). I don’t have to wear spandex, do I?
6. Who do you admire the most?
Anyone who overcomes the odds and refuses to complain along the way. I love stories that take away excuses from people who have so much more than they know.
7. What is your favorite summer activity?
I’d like to water ski more regularly (it’s been a long time) but white water rafting was the coolest thing I’ve done in the summer time. Aidan and Kellen got fishing poles for Christmas so that looks to be a definite part of my future summers.
8. If a movie was made of your life what genre would it be, who would play you?
A comedy, I would hope. Not a lot of drama or horror in my life and I don’t think I’d be toting guns and walking through explosions. Someone said I looked like James Vanderbeek from “Dawson’s Creek” once. A strange girl in college also claimed I looked just like Vanilla Ice…not my hair or my face, just my eyes.
9. If you could be any flavor of ice cream what ice cream flavor would you be and why?
10. Who is your favorite cartoon character and why?
11. If you could go any where in the world where would you go and why?
12. What is your dream job?
13. Are you a morning or a night person?
14. What is your favorite hobby?
15. What is one thing that annoys you the most?
16. What is the strangest thing you’ve ever eaten?
17. What is your favorite thing about someone in your family?
18. What is one of your weird quirks?
19. Describe your self in 3 words.
20. If you could trade lives with anyone for a day who would it be and why?

Wrigley Field...I miss you
21. If you could talk in your sleep what would you say?
If someone was trying to converse with me I’d likely say something to the effect of, “I’m sleeping…can we discuss this later?”.
22. What is the first thing you do when you get up in the morning?
Pick Kellen up out of bed and give him a kiss on the cheek…then walk straight to the fridge and get him his milk as that is the first thing he demands in the morning.
23. What is your favorite movie quote?
“I had an experience. I can’t prove it. I can’t even explain it. But everything that I know as a human being—everything that I am—tells me that it was real. I was given something that changed me forever. A vision of the universe that tells us undeniably how tiny and insignificant, and how rare and precious we all are. A vision that tells us that we belong to something that is greater than ourselves. That we are not…that none of us are alone. I wish I could share that. I wish that everyone, if even for one moment, could feel that awe and humility and a hope. That continues to be my wish.” It’s from the movie “Contact” and she was talking about space stuff but to me it sounds like a statement of faith to me.
24. What is your favorite joke?
I told the Hot Rod Joke on the Floppy Show…you know what I’m talking about Central Iowa! For some reason Mitch Hedberg’s “I’m tired of chasing my dreams. I’m just going to ask them where they’re going and catch up with them later” has been in my head recently. Mitch was a clever young man.
25. What would you do at Mars for fun?
The Mars Cheese Castle? M&M Mars? The planet Mars? Can we be more specific with the question please?
26. If you could get your self anything what would you get?
I’m in the market for a job right now. That would provide an answer to some of my/our current uncertainties. I’ll take one of those please.
27. Where is the worst place you could get stuck?
I really don’t get too impatient and bent out of shape getting tied up anywhere…even when I’m caught up in traffic. The only moment I remember being truly frustrated was in a road construction traffic jam late at night trying to get home to see a young Aidan before he went to bed. I missed him.
28. What would you do with your “15 minutes” of fame?
Take notes for the book, right? This day in age you’ve got to capitalize on your moment by pumping out a book to make some money on the situation.
29. Where would you go if you where invisible?
I’m struggling to find an answer for this one. Why would I want to be eaves dropping anywhere if I could not be there visibly? I could say watching incognito as the boys played together but I get to witness all of the humor in that situation while visible.
30. What is your favorite flavor of “Berty Bots every flavored bean”.
Berty Bots? Let me Google that a moment…um, are those nasty flavored jelly beans? I’ve not partaken and the list is scaring me.
31. What is the one thing you own you wish you didn’t?
We’ve got an extra clothes dryer. Anyone want that?
32. Describe the perfect kiss in 3 words.
This is obviously not the icebreaker list we used for our small group Bible study! How about… Kiss. The. Bride.
33. What is your biggest addiction?
The internet. When you spend all day at home with kids it is your source for communicating with other adults, finding out what’s going on in the world and a distraction from the episode of Max and Ruby that you’ve see 100 times already. That and I use it for school and reading about my friends and family on their blogs.
34. Do you have a song that reminds you of a relationship if so what song?
There are a few but most recently I was disappointed not to sing “Angels We Have Heard on High” during the Christmas season. I remember trying to belt out the extended “Glooooooooooooooooooooooooooria” in church trying desperately to hold on until the “in excelsis Deo”. I was nearly running out of breath and my grandfather looked down and smiled at me. I always thought of that as our Christmas song growing up.
35. How many books have you read so far this year?
Finished James Dobson’s “Bringing Up Boys”, read “The Shack” and am in the midst of “Employment Law for Business” for my class.
36. When I dance, I look like…?
…I have no future engagement with “Dancing With the Stars”. I can Y-M-C-A and Chicken Dance at a wedding but am not much of a dancer outside of that. Now I can just twirl around with the boys and look like I’m entertaining them without trying to look cool or coordinated.
37. Who have you met that you wish you hadn’t?
No one. How can you not value in someway every person you’ve been acquainted with? Even the people whose values and personalities have not matched up with mine have proven to offer the opportunity to learn something about myself or something I can take with me.
38. If you were famous what would you be famous for?
Sportscasting? Writing? A friend from college asked if I was famous in my hometown because we kept bumping into people I knew while traversing the big city streets of Pella during Tulip Time. Strangely he was from a small town too so you’d think he’d know that everyone knows your name (cue “Cheers” theme song) in such a setting.
39. What is the worst job you could have?
I saw some clip of people smelling other people’s armpits once. Not sure that’s a career option or just how scientifically you can sniff and calculate but that has to be a horrible experience.
I wish I had not posted this picture too.
40. What is your favorite T.V. channel?
Favorite or most watched? I’ve got kids so Noggin and the Disney Channel get a lot of air time at our house. I’m just recovering from my MBA era I’m-studying-and-have-no-time-for-TV experience and am up to two shows that I refuse to miss each week (not counting a fairly regular 6:30 date with Pat and Vanna).
41. What is the thing your most afraid of?
Shouldn’t it be “you’re” and not “your”? C’mon icebreaker writer! I’m not a fearful guy. “I’m not afraid to die; I’m not afraid to live. And when I’m flat on my back, I hope to feel like I did.”
42. If you could paint anything what would you paint?
I’d be more useful around the house if I could paint a wall. Apparently that is not my specialty. How about a stunning sunset? That would be satisfying to watch…the sunset, not me painting it.
43. What celebrity annoys you the most?
What? But their opinions mean so much more than ours and we should be thrilled when they show up everywhere to promote the ideas they think are best for all of us. How can we be anything but eternally thankful?
44. What is the most interesting thing you have in your purse/wallet?
Library card? Credit card? Debit card? Nothing too exciting.
45. What is the meanest thing you’ve ever said to someone?
I dare not seek to remember that. Hopefully if I’ve forgotten, they’ve forgotten.
46. If you could get a yacht what would you call it?
Can I call it the Black Pearl and deck it out to look like a pirate ship? That would be sweet! That’s Captain Travis Deur.
47. What is your life long dream?
Right now it’s to grow old, stay happy and healthy and watch my kids live a life as blessed and satisfying as they could possibly imagine.
48. If you could talk to the President what would you talk about?
The outgoing one or the incoming one? If it was Bush…baseball. He’s probably in need of some non-political banter. Not sure Obama has the time for small talk right now. I’d wish him well and ask him to work on bringing the people with the best ideas together rather than pushing one party’s political agenda.
49. Have you ever tried to do something you know you would be really bad at, what was it?
Rope climb. Gym class. Wasn’t really a choice there.
50. On a scale of 1 to 10 how “cool” are you?
High enough to show confidence in my coolness, but low enough not to show signs of arrogance. How about my lucky number seven?
51. What is the best advantage to being really tall?
Reaching things that are up high? People look up to you (ha, ha)? I once wanted to be very tall so I could dominate at basketball (height it all it takes, right?). I’m now happy being of average height and would not be well served by a seven-foot frame.
52. How long does it take you to get ready in the morning?
Ten to fifteen minutes…unless I’m trying to get ready and chase Kellen around at the same time. He likes to grab things he knows he’s not supposed to touch and dash away with them.
53. What is the one thing you have always wanted to do?
Isn’t that the #4 bucket list question all over again? I’d like to sit in the stands and cheer the Cubs to victory in game seven of the World Series. Not important enough? It would fill the long suffering hearts of millions of people with absolute joy. It would be nice to be with like minded people as we all cry tears of joy.
54. What TV sitcom family would you be a member of?
The Cosby family! I might not look like I belong (unless I’m wearing a goofy sweater) but that is the all time TV family, right? Hopefully I would not be named Heathcliff Huxtable, Jr.
Claire's hair and Cliff's shirt pattern!
55. What store do you shop at the most?
Target? Walmart? Kids + shopping = need for one stop convenience. Of course I do run to the Marketplace once a week to restock the milk.
56. What new technology will transform the future?
It’s got to be something that helps men remember to do (or not do) the things that they’ve been asked or the things that ultimately annoy their wives. We’re talking about a universe altered for the better of all mankind here.
57. What supply in your house is running low?
Kellen’s milk. Even as we try to reign in the addiction to moo juice it always seems to be low in the jug. “Dada…widdle bit of meewk?”
58. If you could be any nationality what would it be?
“I’m proud to be an American, where at least I know I’m free…” Every body now! I’m Dutch, I’m living in the U-S-A and would have it no other way. God bless America.
59. What is the most delightful word you can think of?
Warm front? Heat wave? Hyphenate them if you’re picky about the specifics of “word” but I’d like to walk outside and still be able to feel my fingers.
60. What is your least favorite beverage?
Coffee. I think I sipped a parent’s cup once and decided that was never going to be for me.
61. What is the first thing you notice about the opposite sex?
Trap question! And I’m married so I’m not allowed to “notice” anything.
62. If you were stranded on a tropical island what 2 things would you want with you?
I think I put something to this effect on my original 100 list. This time I’ll say sunscreen and a lounge chair. If I have found myself stranded on said island once again I’m just going to kick back and enjoy it. Who is my travel agent by the way?
63. What is the first thing you notice about someone when you first meet?
Now we’re talking all beings and not just women so I’m free to answer. Hopefully it’s their smile and cheerful disposition. I want to hang out with happy people.
64. If you where running for office what would your campaign slogan be?
Um…you mean “were running” not “where running”, right? I would cartwheel in and yell, “Vote for Donnelly!” (see Chris Farley in “Black Sheep”).
65. What was your favorite book growing up?
Mom? I don’t remember. I’ve been wishing recently that I still had the Charlie Brown encyclopedia set that I believe came from the grocery store (the source of all good books). They seemed to have had all the answers to some really interesting questions that might be entertaining to Aidan at this age.
66. What city in America should not be included on a map, why?
Otley, Iowa. Just kidding Otley! Your role as a suburb of Pella has been well played.
67. What compliment does people give you the most?
The grammar in these questions is now faltering! “Your kids are so well behaved” is the one I appreciate the most and am happy to get while dining, shopping or at church.
68. What word would you add to the dictionary if you could, what would it mean?
“Suki, suki” (pronounced sue-key, sue-key). Aidan and Kellen say this constantly to make each other giggle and I haven’t a clue what it means. If it were in the dictionary perhaps I could finally figure out what it means.
69. What product would you refuse to promote?
An electric shaver. They’ve never worked for me and I would feel like such a phony promoting their “close as a blade or your money back” shave as I cover my neck rash from having to press it hard enough against my skin to break through. Couldn’t fake it. Couldn’t live with myself.
70. What is your favorite pet’s name?
Tiger. The only pet I ever had that didn’t live in an aquarium (fish, gerbils, a newt).
71. Use one word to describe your computer ability?
Tech-rific!
72. If your plane was about to crash, who would you want sitting next to you?
Preferably someone who would not be screaming in my ear. I’d prefer to go alone so those I love were not about to burst into flames with me. Of course I’m not wishing doom on strangers either. Can I just sit alone on an empty plane? Why would I be the only one on the plane?
73. Which of the presidents was your favorite?
John Addison, president and CEO of one of my former employers. The man was energetic, motivating and had a very down home, non-corporate personality.
74. How long of a consecutive time have you spent in a car?
While in high school we rode a bus from Pella, Iowa to the University of Rhode Island for a youth convention. That’s a long journey with no half way lodging involved.
75. What is your favorite Halloween costume?
I’m not a big Halloween guy. Aidan loved his Batman costume two years ago but how can I not choose this one of Kellen from the same year…
76. How can you tell if some one is a nerd?
They enjoy hanging out with me?
77. If you could teach any grade or subject what would it be?
I think high school kids need to learn about money. Perhaps I could teach some general business along with the personal finance.
78. What fashion trend do you just not get?
THOSE YOUNG HIPSTERS WITH THEIR SAGGING JEANS! Do people still do that? Do I sound old and crusty shouting and using “hipsters”? Grr!
79. If you where a wicked tyrant what country would you rule?
Canada. All wicked things come from Canada.
80. What is the lowest grade you have ever been given what class was it for?
C-something in the first quarter of high school chemistry. Missed an A by two points the next quarter which would have given me my first 4.0. I’ve made up for it in my Master’s classes earning A’s in 19 of 20 classes.
81. If you could choose your nickname what would it be?
I like T.D. A few people call me that and I sign off on emails with TD when I’m feeling too lazy to type out an additional four letters. I’ve had a few others but nothing that has stuck consistently.
82. What is your best feature?
I forgive and heal quickly. I’m not often wronged but I don’t feel it necessary to dwell on it.
83. If you could swim in any liquid what would it be and why?
Jell-O? Pepsi?
84. What is the song you hear most often?
Anything on…Baby Genius Sing-a-Longs. Baby Genius Nursery Rhymes. Baby Genius Children’s Songs. Kellen is obsessed with them and we are so privileged to have received the accompanying CD with each DVD which means they are always on in the car too.
85. What have you done that you are most proud of?
I think it’s cool that Rachel and I were able to complete our MBA’s simultaneously with a double course load over the course of 18 months while working full time and raising a young child. Oh, and we welcomed Kellen to the world in the midst of that. Not much of a social life over that year and a half but we pulled it off.
86. How many keys do you have on your key ring?
Three…the truck key, car key and house key.
87. What is your favorite song?
On the 19th it will be U2’s new single as we fanatics have been waiting five years for the new album (coming in March). At the moment I’m quite fond of Alter Bridge’s “Before Tomorrow Comes.” It’s kind of a rocking we’ve-got-a-lot-of-good-waiting-inside-of-us kind of song with lyrics like “Will I be defined by things that could have been?” and ends with a repeating “We could be so much more than we are.”
88. How old where you when you had the worst hair cut ever what style was it?
I had a flattop in junior high when the high school basketball team got them to show unity on their way to a state title. That’s the most exciting my hair’s ever been.
89. What advice did you get that was the most rewarding?
Never bet on a three-legged horse. Common sense goes a long way sometimes.
90. If you could change one thing about your looks what would it be?
I’m really not all that concerned with my appearance. I’ve trimmed down a bit since Thanksgiving to get into swimsuit shape for Hawaii…or rather in an attempt to eat and act more healthily.
91. What is your least favorite type of music?
Rap. I’m not the type to crank the bass nodding my head to a song that undoubtedly comments on a woman’s rear end at some point. Pass.
92. If you where a super hero what would your powers be?
If I could fly at lightning speed from place to place that would be swell.
93. What fortune would you want to get from a fortune cookie?
So I cheated and looked for help on the internet. I like this one…"I cannot help you, for I just a cookie.” Thought that was good though I do enjoy a clever or smiley saying.
94. What is one food you wouldn’t want to give up?
In the midst of my recent calorie consciousness and curbing snacking (or snacking better) I have not yet found anything I can’t live without. Not to say I won’t eat things I shouldn’t occasionally but so far no problems.
95. If you won a million dollars what would you buy?
Plane tickets for me and my family (including parents, siblings, in-laws) to go somewhere really sweet together. With that kind of cash we could just hang out together until we got bored.
96. If you had access to a time machine where and when would you go?
How about the morning of my birth? I could hold myself in my own arms and totally blow my own mind?
97. If you could add a person to Mount Rushmore who would it be, why?
Jesus. Those other dudes did a lot for the country but c’mon…the real hero did it for all of us.
98. If you could win any award what would it be, why?
A Grammy. I’m not winning anything for acting and unlikely to do something Nobel Prize worthy. I have a journal with a collection of lyrics and such that I’ve written. Perhaps I can use Wii Music to put them into song.
99. If you could teleport where would you go, why?
When travelling I often wish you could jump between cities of like name to save time. You know, you see a familiar name for a town that’s close to another place you like and imagine bending the time space continuum to immediately beam yourself to that town so you can go see that thing or those people close by? Or is that just me?
100. What was your favorite cartoon growing up?
As previously mentioned…Calvin and Hobbes. I don’t remember a particular TV cartoon that was can’t miss TV so I’ll use the comic strip again. Such an imaginative young lad.

Thanks for caring enough or being humored enough to read through all of them!
1 comment:
How could I forget penguins for #3? Sharply dressed, a little wobbly but still so cool. Monkeys? Penguins? Can I be both?
Post a Comment