I feel the need to decipher where these thoughts come from though I guess labeling them random should be enough. Last night the local news ran a story on how loud the Metrodome is during football games so perhaps the mental imagery of a loud arena environment lodged itself in my head and was there when I woke up this morning.
Anyways...
Several years ago in Chicago, Rachel and I braved the snowy expressways and headed to the United Center for an Aerosmith (and Lenny Kravitz) concert. I found it to be an interesting scene as they've been a around for a long time and the crowd was therefore very diverse. We saw everything from youngsters who were into their new songs knowing nothing but the current album to the older generation of fans yearning for them to play their classic tunes. There were also quite a few families and of course the overly exuberant super fan whose ticket was for the seat right next to mine.
He told me about how they had come to the arena that night with no ticket wanting desperately to see the band and happened to scored two seats while looking for a seller in the parking lot. Then, when the music was at a level making conversations with your indoor voice impossible he began telling me about how he wanted to see them when he was in college in 1979 but he was too...well his words were "but I was too wasted." I smiled knowing if I talked in a normal voice he'd have no clue what I said and responded "Yeah, I was two." He looked at me squinting and leaning forward not hearing what I had said (just as I intended) and in my desire to return him to his state of singing and dancing with his equally exuberant wife instead of conversing with me I simply smiled and said "Yeah, me too!"
No comments:
Post a Comment