Sunday, November 16, 2008

‘Tis Better to Give and Deceive

We began Christmas shopping yesterday and the entertaining challenge of purchasing gifts for the boys while shopping with the boys added a level of intrigue and difficulty. With two boys and two carts it’s easy to hide things from Kellen but Aidan has always been able to smell out a gift purchased for him. He has a navidad sixth sense of shopping.

I recall one year when I came downstairs and found him sitting on a tub of Christmas decorations clutching an unwrapped Thomas the Train locomotive. He smiled at me and asked to have his choo choo that very moment. How he found it is a mystery still unsolved but he managed to discover it and at that age we weren’t getting it back. We also purchased a special candy item for him way back when to share with his friends at daycare. We carefully slipped it into the cart, checked out and got back to the car. As soon as we started the engine he announced that he wanted his candy now.

Yesterday we managed to successfully snag something for him twice. The first time it was a simple distraction technique and thanks to the complicated Kohl’s shopping carts with their opaque hanging bags it was behind him the whole time and he was none the wiser. He thought nothing of the three guys heading to the truck to warm it up for mama leaving her to check out by herself. The second store and item had Kellen and I cart racing Aidan and Rachel. Kellen and I took odd “shortcuts” and conveniently got lost for a few minutes. My Oscar worthy announcement that I was warm and needed to shed my coat minutes earlier had the desired effect as everyone de-coated and gave me enough material to hide the item I was about to scoop up during my absence.

No comments: