Sunday, November 9, 2008

Chillin' (Literally) With The Cornhuskers

This past weekend we dropped the boys off in Pella and headed to Nebraska to take in the Cornhusker/Jayhawk football game. The game was held at the 80,000 plus seat Memorial Stadium in Lincoln. The projected temperatures were chilly but never got that high. A biting wind made this Cyclone man very happy for his complementary Huskers stocking cap during a brief tailgating session (don't be mad Cyclone brethren...I like the way I look with ears).


We were also gifted with shirts and I donned mine quickly not wishing to offend the fine people that hosted us on Saturday. I was thrilled to wear the wrong red if it meant we got to hang out in the corporate skybox. The view was great, the all-access ticket to game food was much appreciated and there was only a slight breeze if you sat too close to the vented windows (had to inject a little legit crowd noise into the comfort of the box). We were well taken care of while footballing in the presence of the CEO and owner of a company Rachel does business with.

Windows between you and wind chill factors = feeling in your extremities

The trip from Minneapolis to Pella to Lincoln to Pella to Minneapolis in 48 hours left me a bit exhausted (perhaps the 18 hour football day did me in). It was a great experience. I did not get the full effect of the size of the stadium perched high above the shivering masses but my toes did live to see the end of the game. They suggested we needed to make the trip an annual event and with the Cyclones visiting Lincoln next year I think October 24 fits into my schedule.

I don't always get the invite to these corporate perks but this weekend I was happy to serve in the role of trophy husband.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Nice blog entry! I'm glad you were able to keep all of your extremeties and enjoy the game with some warmth. It's just gearing you up for your Minnesota winter...although it started of at 20 degress this morning...gotta love...November?!