Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Completely Random Memory from Out of Nowhere 2

This story came up again over the weekend. I am still in absolute disbelief as to what I witnessed several months ago.

I'll admit my multitasking sometimes finds its way into the car. I try to keep distractions to a minimum and save any diversionary acts until I reach stoplights and such but when we travel long distances I have indeed mastered the act of McDonald's-ing while on the open road.

One Sunday in Chicago on our way back from church I saw someone eating while driving and could not believe my eyes. She was not at a stoplight but in fact navigating a not-so-straight stretch of road while eating...spaghetti. On a plate. With a fork (not that there are many variations on how to eat spaghetti).

Who chooses spaghetti as an appropriate "while driving" food? I have never eaten spaghetti in a moving vehicle even as a passenger. Certainly I would never choose such an entree as a driver. Eating spaghetti away from the table seems to require the use of both hands (got to hold the plate too, right?). Was she steering with her knees? Is there a common automobile with an autopilot feature? I watch enough TV to have seen the commercial touting autopilot and your chance to finally eat that plate of spaghetti you've been craving on the fly as you've been hoping desperately to do for so long.

I'm going to bank that memory in the "Now I've Seen it All" file.

No comments: