Friday, August 15, 2008

Friday Night Shopping

It was shopping night tonight which always produces some interesting moments.

The first came while we were checking out at Kohl’s. Just as I was beginning to think that my contacts made me look a bit younger I was hit with a Senior Discount at the register. I heard Rachel giggling and the young cashier laughing nervously and looked up at the screen and saw my three items and SENIOR DISCOUNT in bold letters. Turns out she bumped the wrong button.

My lightning quick card swipe as I was trying to avoid the “would you like to save 10%...” spiel (before I knew what was transpiring) and her wanting to get me out of the store as quickly as possible ultimately meant she would let me walk out with an undeserved savings. I did ask her how old she thought I looked and then made sure I was being extra nice so she knew it didn't bother me at all. Total savings? About four dollars.

We also learned that just because the one year old child successfully sips his milk from a straw the first time (his very first time) doesn’t mean he won’t reverse gears and blow as hard as he can the next time he’s thirsty. It was my fault. I forgot to pack his cup before we left the house. I slurped my soda as fast as I could and give him his milk in a fountain drink cup with a straw and a lid. That did the trick.

The line of the night goes to Aidan: “Mama, why are you getting shoes that look just like shoes you already have?”. I responded with…absolute silence and attempted not to say anything with my expression. I do remember following my mother around while shopping asking “Mom do we NEED that?” every time she touched anything.

No comments: