Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Music Plugs

I was reminded this weekend of a free music site that I’ve been using for a while now. I have apparently neglected to share the love but Cousin Tasha has discovered it just as I was introduced to it about a year ago.

You can find it at… http://www.pandora.com/

The site allows you to create you own online radio stations (no commercials!). Type in an artist or song you like and it will continuously play songs according to your tastes. It will begin playing songs from your selected artist, similar artists and songs, the bands that influenced your favorites or new artists that have been influenced by them, etc. You can then vote for each song as it plays (if you choose) giving your approval or forever banishing the songs you don’t want to hear from your personal airwaves. The system learns and remembers your personal preferences.

I’ve currently got eight stations at my disposal and I love hearing the stuff I like and discovering new songs and artists I didn’t know about without enduring the junk I don't care for.

Also…

I picked up the new Third Day album that released this week. Third Day is one of two bands that will get my purchase no questions asked so any review I would give them is completely biased. The long trek home from Chicago with sleeping passengers allowed me to give the disc four full listens yesterday. I’m liking the overall product very much and really like a good number of the songs on their own.


And finally…

I feel super cool when I know someone personally who is in a band that has an actual CD out. This has been the case four times before and will soon be the case again. My former workmate, good friend and all around great guy Brian is involved in a band that is pressing their first album this week. I’ve been listening to their stuff online and have been promised a copy of the CD which excites me and has me feeling very insider-ish.

Check them out if you wish at… http://www.myspace.com/thedivinersband

I especially like “Coming Home”, “State of Mind” and “Sell Your Childhood”. Mostly mellow stuff from this Los Angeles-based indie band.

No comments: