Thursday, August 21, 2008

My Friend Garmin

I love GPS.

Before we headed to the lake I mapped out the route online choosing the best routes to avoid traffic and wrote out the directions. I jumped into the truck with two boys that were very happy to be escaping the house. All was well for about 15 minutes then we hit a road construction situation.

I quickly detoured knowing my friend Garmin would get me back on track. He wanted me to bump back on course using a route that was (surprise, it’s summer!) road blocked for more construction. We tooled along adjusting our route on the fly as the quick thinking “talking box” (Aidan’s term of affection for our all-knowing virtual mapster) adjusted to my decisions to ignore it at various junctures.

We rolled into the restaurant parking ahead of our eating companions acting like we drove there without incident.

Try on the fly navigation around such obstacles with a map propped on your dashboard. I didn’t have to take my eyes off the road once as Garmin’s slightly digitized voice calmly guided me from A to B (with scenic strolls through C, around D, avoiding E, F and G).

Another smooth to and fro thanks to my friend Garmin.

No comments: