The Olympics are here!When else can you watch an Indonesian woman beat her German counter part in badminton, US women’s basketball, men’s cycling, women’s volleyball (Italy v. Russia) and women’s soccer (China v. Canada) all before noon on a Saturday? Three years and 50 weeks out of four years I’m not all that interested in watching people run, lift weights, ride horses or kayak but it gets interesting during the Olympiad.
We watched the opening ceremonies last night and it was quite impressive. For my money though I still like the Spaniards going “Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves” in the torch lighting ceremony (video below).
It's interesting to see the parade of nations and giggle at the wardrobe choices (seriously Hungary, what were you all thinking?). The traditional marching in of the athletes also allows you to scope out which no-chance nation you'll be pulling for. If one of the two participants from Chad wins a medal I'll be all smiles.
It was nice to wake up and find the US women had swept the medals in saber putting the US in the overall medal lead. I was bursting with national pride and then went to Google to confirm that saber was indeed a form of fencing.
Now if the 100m dash is all it’s been hyped to be, Michael Phelps wins eight golds, Iowans Shawn Johnson (women’s gymnastics) and Lolo Jones (hurdles) win their events and Athlete A or B from Chad find the medal stand my Olympic viewing life will be complete.
No comments:
Post a Comment