Thursday, August 7, 2008

I’m Quite a Spectacle

I’m sitting here with my new contacts in wondering if I’m simply adjusting to life without the spectacles again or if I put them in the wrong eyes today. Yesterday the return of lenses to my ocular surfaces had me walking around bugged eyed for quite a while. The drive home was fun as I felt them with every glance in a peripheral direction. Today I do not notice them as much…except for the feeling (or perhaps the paranoia) that they are not in the correct eyes. I do feel at the age of 30, I should be able to handle getting them in the correct side of the case at night and back in the appropriate eyes the next day.

I'm feeling a little bit like this today

I started wearing contacts long ago (we’re talking first grade-ish) and my eyes decided they weren’t playing that game anymore a couple years ago. I’ve gotten use to my glasses and the way I look in them but I did decide to give it another whirl when I got my eyes checked recently. I’m hoping to give my dazzling blue eyes (they may or may not be dazzling…I just thought that would be a fun adjective) more exposure to the world and wishing for a comfier experience this time. I had them in for three and a half hours yesterday and considered that a victory for Day One.

The last time around I had the tiny gas permeable type where I could pop them on the lower part of my eye and nudge them up to the center. Now I’ve got the soft lenses where I need heavy scaffolding to prop my eyes open long enough for me to poke myself directly in the center of my eyeballs. At least the sting I felt many moons ago when trying contacts on for the first time is not an issue.

My hope is that the disappointment in felt in Mexico two years ago when my snorkeling attempt with glasses failed (tough to suction a mask over your glasses) will not need to be experienced again. I’d like to be able to swim without doing it blindly (or with water spotted glasses). Heck, maybe there’s even a water park in my near future or the simple pleasure of feeling cool while wearing a pair of sunglasses again (never got the prescription type).

So I’ll be working on getting used to these things once again. If you happen to see a picture of me in the near future and I look like I’m in a constant state of surprise you’ll know I’m not quite there yet.

Yup, this was pretty much me yesterday...
...hopefully it will pass soon

1 comment:

James and Channy said...

I know what you are going through...I too started out in gas permeable and I will tel you what I still have days where I would prefer to where the gas permeable compared to the soft. But when something gets in your eye/under your contact I know that it doesn't hurt near as bad as the gas permeable one's did! :)

Good luck adjusting! Welcome back to the contact world!