Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Magical Disappearing Dryer

So I’ve never bought or sold anything on Craigslist. I’ve purchased a handful of items from eBay but never the previously mentioned online marketplace. I took a look at it this morning and Craig’s site is not very fancy. It’s mostly a bunch of text links and nothing is flashy or animated.

When we moved into our new place the previous owners left their washer and dryer. Having moved from Chicago with our own set of laundry machines the utility room space was being eaten up by the extras. Having no need to run a laundromat out of our basement we were able to strike a deal with a family member on the washer. That was a while back and the extra dryer remained pushed against the wall. It’s only function was helping the Christmas tree box with its off-holiday task of holding up the extra box spring.

Today I finally snapped a few photos of the dryer and created a listing with my man Craig. In less than 15 minutes I was corresponding with two potential buyers by email. After 45 minutes I had a time set up for my new friend Bruce (no relation to Craig) to swing buy and pick it up for a mutually agreed upon fee. Less than 10 hours after posting my online add, the dryer was loaded up and off to its new home.

It was a successful first online item dump. I was surprised at the speed of things and it left us wondering how many people were sitting there just waiting anxiously for the right dryer add to pop up (there were others who contacted me later in the day). My magic touch has at least two friends inquiring about my availability to broker deals for some of their extra stuff.

No comments: